Sunday, June 18, 2023

'I gave up 12 runs in my first game after being discharged' Lotte's Son Sung-bin "I was too aggressive in my debut"

 "They say you can't do it right the first time... I think I made too much of my debut."

Lotte Giants next-generation closer Son Seong-bin (21) expressed deep disappointment after his dizzying comeback.


The Lotte Giants' game against the SSG Landers at SSG Landers Field in Incheon on Nov. 16 was Son's first game as a starting catcher since returning from the Armed Forces Athletic Corps. Working with right-handed sidearm Han Hyun-hee (30) for the first time, he suffered a bitter 1-12 defeat.


The next day (July 17), LOTTE manager Larry Sutton said, "We need to have a different perspective. Before the game, the pitchers and catchers make a plan for the day's play. During the game, the bench is there to help with pitch mixes whenever needed. That's why the result on the 16th was more about Han Hyun-hee not throwing the pitches he wanted than it was about Son Sung-bin."


However, he had a different opinion. After hearing Sutton's words, Son was grateful and said, "Is that what you said?" but also said, "When the game is like that, the catcher's responsibility is big. (Han) Hyun-hee's ball was good, but the SSG batters also hit really well," he said.


There were some bright spots in the loss. One of them was in the bottom of the third inning, when Lotte was down 0-2 with runners on first and third. First baseman Guillermo Heredia attempted to steal second base against the Son-Seong-bin-Han Hyun-hee battery, but Son's throw to second was just outside the infield, and shortstop Lee Hak-joo tagged him for the out. It was a perfect steal that Eredia and the SSG dugout couldn't argue with. The highlight of the play was that the pitching coach Bae Young-soo said, "Wow," with a wide smile and a surprised expression on his face.


"I think my strength right now is stealing bases," said Son. But this position (catcher) is not only about the stolen base jersey. It's a position where you have to be good at running the game, catching, blocking, and everything else, so I'm trying to learn and improve in other areas."


Although he suffered a major setback in his first game, Son is a big-time catching prospect with plenty of years left in his career. A graduate of Hope University, Shinheungjoong University, and Jangang High School, Son was the first overall pick of Lotte in the 2021 KBO Draft after being recognized as a hexagonal catcher who could hit, run, and catch in high school. After showing promise with a 0.316 batting average and 0.725 OPS in 20 games in his rookie year, he enlisted in the Merchant Marine and completed his military service.

As a youngster, he watched legendary catcher Buster Posey (36-retired) of the San Francisco Giants in Major League Baseball and dreamed of becoming a catcher. Posey was drafted by San Francisco with the fifth overall pick in the first round of the 2008 Major League Baseball draft, and in 2010, his second year as a starter, he led the team to its first World Series title in 56 years. He went on to lead the Giants to two more World Series titles, winning Rookie of the Year (2010), League MVP (2012), batting title (2012), five Silver Slugger Awards, and one Gold Glove (2016).


"When I was in the sixth grade to the first year of middle school, I was so impressed with Forge's play. He was a role model because he had leadership even at a young age, and I wanted to emulate that." "Right now, I'm looking up to senior Yoo Kang-nam as a role model. I haven't had a personal conversation with him yet, but he's really good at explaining things like ball placement during a match in a way that I can understand, so I keep asking him questions and trying to get help."


He used the favorable first experience as nourishment for growth. "Through this game, I really realized that I need to get to know my team's pitchers better than my opponents," he reflected, "I'm a catcher who adjusts to the pitcher a lot. 메이저사이트 When mutual trust is established, I will make a lead that reflects my intentions, but at first, I try very hard to approach the pitcher and think about his position and be considerate." "I think the first team is more about results than process. The goal is to beat the top teams in the standings, but from the next game, I will try to show more as a catcher who can work well with the pitcher."

No comments:

Post a Comment

'I gave up 12 runs in my first game after being discharged' Lotte's Son Sung-bin "I was too aggressive in my debut"

 "They say you can't do it right the first time... I think I made too much of my debut." Lotte Giants next-generation closer S...